SYSTEM REQUIREMENTSTOYOTA OBD1 compliant ECU
Phone or table running Android 2.3.3 or higher with Bluetooth capabilities
OBD1READ device connected to your car
outdated overall demonstration(2014)
Most engine sensors reading are available
- Engine RPM
- Throttle position sensor state
- VAF or MAF or MAP sensor reading
- Oxygen sensors state, either RICH or LEAN
- Engine coolant temperature
- Car speed
- IDL switch state
- Knock sensor state (either knocking badly or not at all.)
- Neutral start switch state
- Starter switch state
Some calculated fields are available
- Car fuel consumption in MPG,KM/L, L/100KM
- Injector duty cycle
Some output values are available
- Ignition angle
- Idle air control valve state
- Injector opening duration
- Short term fuel trims
- Acceleration enrichment state
- After start enrichment state
- Closed or Open loop state
- ECU self-diagnostic state
- Warm-up enrichment state
TRIP COMPUTERA trip computer mode is available for those interested in monitoring fuel consumption through time
A thermal alarm feature is built into the application in case coolant temperature rise above 100C (default value which can be altered )this might save you a lot of trouble some day.
CARPUTER MODEYou can let the tablet control when it connects to the car and when it goes to sleep as long as you configured the app to do so.
DATA LOGGINGAll data frame received from the ECU is kept in a database on the phone and is available for export to .CSV for spreadsheet analysis and custom algorithms inputs.You can import data from someone else phone and replay that data from your phone.
DIAGNOSING WITHOUT EVEN BEING THERE
Using this application you can know quickly if there are bad or missing sensor readings from logs you send to someone else. With such logs it is possible to point toward a culprit to the issues without even seeing the car yourself.
Simple test cases
- TPS IDL switch operation
- TPS analog signal operation
- Map sensor operation
- Coolant temp sensor operation
- Detect engine overheating
- Ox sensor operation
- transmission speed sensor operation
- Sticky STA starter switch signal.
- Error code brewing but not yet thrown by the ECU.
Advanced test cases
- Recognize bad engine vacuum from MAP sensor reading.
- Detect a bad thermostat through coolant temp monitoring.
- Gauge engine performance through VAF sensor monitoring.
- Gauge fueling issues through ox sensor, injector duration and short term fuel trim monitoring.
- feedback for Flap door AFM tuning for engine with VAF sensors.
DATA MINING PRIOR TO A STAND ALONE ECU INSTALL
Using this application you can extrapolate data to build a base file configuration for a fully configurable ECU.
- Cranking ignition timing
- End point of warm up enrichment for your engine( this varies a lot on different ecu models. some stop early, some quite late)
- Base ignition timing at hot idle
- base fuel maps, (you need to take the time to log in every engine loads while being in OPEN loop mode) this can be tedious because of the obd1 protocol.
- base ignition timing( same method here)
- Idle air control valve usage strategy used for your engine.
- When the Closed loop control switches to Open loop